Cameron and Michael
Early November 2004
(18 months old)
Took Their Hand and Followed
My dishes went unwashed today,
I didn't make the bed,
I took their hand and followed
Where their eager footsteps led.
Oh yes, we went adventuring,
My little twins and I . . .
Exploring all the great outdoors
Beneath the summer sky.
We waded in a crystal stream,
We wandered through a wood . . .
My kitchen wasn't swept today
But life was warm and good.
We found a cool, sun dappled glade
And now my small twins know
How Mother Bunny hides her nest,
Where Jack-in-the-pulpit grows.
We watched a tui feed her young,
We climbed a sunlit hill . . .
Saw cloud-sheep scamper through the sky,
We plucked a daffodil.
That my house was neglected,
That I didn't brush the stairs,
In twenty years, no one on earth
Will know, or even care.
But that I've helped my little twins
To noble adulthood grow,
In twenty years, the whole wide world
May look and see and know



No comments:
Post a Comment